AKPR or AKKPS? Choosing a Breed Registry
A lot of people new to Kunekune pigs have confusion about the breed registries. When we got started, I thought that AKPR handled the West coast, and AKKPS handled the East coast! There also seems to be the misconception that registries are only for show animals- and this couldn’t be more inaccurate. Whether you are showing or producing pork, registration is really important to track genetics!
There are two separate Kunekune breed registries- the American Kunekune Pig Registry and the American Kunekune Pig Society. Breeders can register with one, or with both. Pigs can be registered with one registry and transferred to the other, and pigs can be dual registered.
AKPR is our registry of choice. I will not be renewing my membership with AKKPS this year. I feel that now, more than ever- having two registries is confusing and not in the best interest of the breed. Kunekune pigs need one strong, focused registry and I believe that AKPR is the registry for the job. “Dual Registry” is a buzz term some use to imply greater value in their sale piglets or breeding stock- and yet it offers no added value to an animal. It’s just papers. I don’t care if a pig is dual registered, all I care about is that I have it registered or transferred to AKPR- the registry that I work with.
If I have missed anything in the two lists below, please feel free to comment with suggestions as to what you feel should be added!
American Kunekune Pig Registry (AKPR)
- AKPR is the original official foundation registry, founded in 2006
- AKPR is known as the “pork production” registry, and encourages breeders to utilize a variety of selective breeding techniques to best reach their goals.
- Cost is $40 per year
- Herd book access, litter notifications, registrations AND transfers are FREE
- AKPR offers Junior memberships, where kids can be assigned their own herd prefix, own their own pigs, and show under their prefix at AKPR sanctioned events.
- AKPR allows all newly imported bloodlines to be registered, and registered under their original name.
- Herd book is public and can be viewed by anyone.
- AKPR members are listed on the AKPR breeder list whether or not they register any pigs with AKPR or not.
- Paperwork is electronic, meaning that you receive pig’s registrations through a digital document
- Individual pig’s registrations can be transferred to a new owner by being signed over to them on the pedigree.
- AKPR regularly sanctions shows and events for Kunekune pigs.
- Upon joining AKPR, you’ll receive a herd book prefix unique to your farm name.
- AKPR has made many proactive, member-driven changes this past year and I’ve been told that a lot more are on the way.
- AKPR merchandise is available for purchase online
American Kunekune Pig Society (AKKPS)
- AKKPS is a second official breed registry that went online in 2013
- AKKPS is beginning to recognize Kunekune for pork, but prior to this has been more pet-focused. AKKPS offers “pet registrations” for altered pigs. They encourage high diversity/low COI (coefficient of inbreeding) pairings and discourage line breeding.
- Cost is $40 per year
- Litter notifications are $20/each. Registration is $15 per piglet or transfer.
- AKKPS offers sponsor memberships, where breeders can purchase memberships for their customers.
- AKKPS has some limitations on registration of newer bloodlines, and the Tutanekai bloodline is listed as “TF Mahia Love” in the AKKPS herd book.
- Herd book access is restricted only to members.
- Breeders are only listed on the breeder list if 80% of their pigs are registered with AKKPS.
- Paperwork is sent via mail.
- Transfers of pigs can only be initiated online via pig owner. Paperwork can’t be “signed over” to a new owner.
- Upon joining you will receive a herd book prefix unique to your farm name.
- AKKPS places topics up for discussion amongst members utilizing surveys, and then their board of directors votes on them.
- AKKPS has a quarterly newsletter that provides education and features member farms and content
- AKKPS merchandise is available for purchase online